Monday, February 21, 2011

Hiking

I used to hate hiking.  Growing up, our family went hiking/backpacking/camping as often as possible.  It seemed like every weekend I was dragged into the woods, hiked up and down miles of trail, and forced to sleep on the ground.  Never!  I swore to myself.  Never will I do this voluntarily, as an adult.

Flash forward 25 years.  I must admit, my preferred vacation is a week on a tropical beach, or a week seeing historical sites in Europe.  But I've also made peace with hiking.  And, as my relationship with exercise and my body has changed, so has my attitude toward outdoor activities.  And I find that I am enjoying it.  The woods.  The beauty.  The peace.

Color me shocked.

So this weekend my good friend Aunt L. and I went hiking.  It was a gorgeous day.  Cold but clear.  Sunny.  Good friends catching up.  A VERY happy dog.  Perfect.


The sun was bright.  


The day was clear.


I miss the heat of the south, but the beauty of the Pacific Northwest is breathtaking.


Like I said... A VERY happy dog!


We started out at Dosewallips Campground, on Hood Canal on the Olympic Peninsula.  Some of the best hiking in the world is in this part of the county.

Thank you Aunt L. for a perfect day!




No comments:

Post a Comment