Thursday, April 14, 2011

5 minute chili

This is my favorite chili recipe.   I make it about once a week. 

Tomorrow I will share the cornbread that goes with it.

I love this because I can put it together in less than 5 minutes in the morning, turn on the crock pot, leave and come back to a house that smells AWESOME, and feed everyone a healthy, hot, fast meal.

Ingredients:

2 cans beans (I use 1 can black beans, 1 can kidney beans)
1 can tomato sauce
1 chopped onion ( I use 1/4 to 1/3 cups - or a handful - of dried minced onions)
1 Tablespoon chili powder - or to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 lb ground meat (I don't eat beef, so I use either chicken or turkey)

Pour all the ingredients into the crock pot.  If you are going to be gone for more than 6 hours, add 1/4 cup of water for each hour.

(I make this at 5:30 in the morning and we don't eat until about 6pm, so I pour in the black beans, with their juice, then fill the can with water and pour that in, to get all the good stuff out of the can.  I then do the same with the kidney beans.)

Stir.  Add the meat. 

(I usually have between 1/2 to 1 lbs of ground turkey or ground chicken in the freezer.  I just add the frozen meat to the chili.  When I get home it is cooked and I use a knife or big spoon to break it up into small pieces.)

Put lid on crock pot, turn on low and walk away for at least 6 hours.

To serve:  Ladle chili into bowls, sprinkle grated cheddar on top, serve with a green salad and a big piece of cornbread.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment